Effective Date & Last Modified 13 May 2014
Shopzilla, Inc. is a company incorporated in the State of California USA and has its principal office at 12200 W Olympic Blvd. Suite 300 Los Angeles, CA 90064.
Certain of the Services may be provided by Shopzilla (Europe) Limited, with whom we may also share your information. Shopzilla (Europe) Limited is a company registered in England and Wales under company number 05220340 with its registered office at 4th Floor, 111 Buckingham Palace Road London SW1W 0SR. “Shopzilla” and the terms “we”, “us” and “our” refer to Shopzilla, Inc., except where a Service is provided by Shopzilla (Europe) Limited, in which case “Shopzilla” and the terms “we”, “us” and “our” refers to Shopzilla (Europe) Limited.
Summary of key principles
We typically collect two kinds of information about you: (a) information that you provide that personally identifies you (e.g., full name or phone number); and (b) information that does not personally identify you (e.g., your IP address or type of browser);
This information is transmitted to, held and processed by us in the United States of America;
We typically use this information to provide you with our website and related services, to deliver targeted advertising based on your preferences and our promotions to you and to produce reports and data about online shopping;
We may disclose this information to authorized third parties including our merchants, advertising and promotional partners and third party service providers for these purposes;
You may at any time opt-out of certain activities as set out below (see section VI);
We encrypt any information you input using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software and take security measures to safeguard information in accordance with industry practice;
If you register with us, you have the ability to update or correct the information you previously provided via the account section;
If you have any questions or concerns about privacy at Shopzilla, please contact us by clicking here;
Our websites and our services are not designed or intended for use by children under 13; and
I. What information do we collect?
We collect two kinds of information related to you: (a) Personally Identifiable Information (“PII”); and (b) Non-Personally Identifiable Information (“Non-PII”).
(a) Personally Identifiable Information: PII includes any information that identifies you as person. We collect your PII when you choose to register with us or when you choose to participate in an interactive feature of our Sites such as our blogs, surveys, reviews, promotions, newsletters, panels, communities, free prize draws and competitions. You may: (a) provide your name, mail/shipping address, email address, credit card number and phone number when registering with our Sites or in connection with a contest entry; (b) provide certain demographic information about you (e.g., age, gender, shopping interests and preferences, etc.) when participating in a survey or poll; or (c) post a general comment and/or recommendation on our Sites.
(b) Non-Personally Identifiable Information: Non-PII is any information that does not identify you as a person including PII which has been rendered anonymous. We obtain non-PII either separately or together with your PII as described above. We collect certain non-PII from you when you access our Sites including IP addresses and information relating to your browser, operating system, ISP, the third party website from which your visit originated and how you use our Sites such as the web pages you visit, and the duration of your visits. We may also collect Non-PII from you when you visit one of our participating merchant’s websites on which the merchant displays any of our medals or other icons which includes a pixel tag (also called a clear GIF or web beacon). We may be able to associate this Non-PII with other data from cookies acquired by you on any of our other Sites or on third party affiliated websites and this data together may constitute PII.
II. How we use & share the information collected
PII and Non-PII is used to provide, or improve, our Sites and Services to you and to carry out your requests, respond to your inquiries, better serve you and understand your needs, or is used in other ways naturally associated with the circumstances in which you provided the information.
We may disclose PII and Non-PII to:
- Our third party service providers who perform functions on our behalf in connection with the operation of the Sites or Services e.g., providers who host and manage data, process credit card orders, deliver our merchandise, etc;
- Participating sponsors to a program or promotion you enter through our Sites or Services;
- Our parent company, subsidiaries or other affiliated companies (“affiliated companies”) for operational, marketing and promotional purposes;
- Co-promotional partners and others with whom we have marketing or other relationships;
- Participating merchants where you consent at the time you submit PII to us when using the interactive features of our Sites such as surveys and reviews concerning our participating merchants; and
- Our other users where you choose to publicly post reviews, comments or other information relating to products or services, communicate with other users via public forums (e.g., forums, message boards, bulletin boards, etc.).
In addition, we use non-PII to help analyse site traffic, understand customer needs and trends, carry out targeted promotional activities (see “Preference Based Advertising” below). We may use your non-PII by itself or aggregate it with information we have obtained from others to produce research reports and other information and data about online shopping for participating merchants and other customers, as well as media and other interested parties.
III. Cookies and preference based advertising
(a) Cookies and Web Beacons: We automatically receive and store certain types of non-PII whenever you interact with us by using "cookies" and analogous technology. "Cookies" are small files that we place on your computer or your Web browser memory to enable our systems to recognise your browser and to provide convenience and other features to you. It is important to note that the cookies that we use do not contain and are not tied to PII about you.
You may be able to direct your internet browser not to allow cookies and you can delete existing cookies from your computer. Please note, however, some elements of our Sites will not function properly or be available to you.
A couple of important notes about this opt-out tool: (1) it includes all the advertising networks that Shopzilla works with, but also many that Shopzilla does not work with; and (2) it relies on cookies to ensure that a given advertising network does not collect information about you (“Opt-out Cookies”) – for a general explanation of how Opt-out Cookies work, please click here. Therefore, if you buy a new computer, change web browsers or delete these Opt-out Cookies from your computer, you will need to perform the opt-out task again.
IV. Sale of business and disclosure by law
- Business Transactions: We may disclose PII and Non-PII held by us: (a) to a prospective seller or actual seller of any business or assets we acquire; (b) if all or any of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case, PII and Non-PII may be one of the transferred assets.
- Required disclosures: We may disclose and use any PII or non-PII if we are required to do so by law, with respect to copyright and other intellectual property infringement claims, or if we believe that such action is necessary to: (a) fulfil a government request; (b) conform with the requirements of the law or legal process; (c) protect or defend our legal rights or property, our Sites, or other users; or (d) in an emergency to protect the health and safety of our Sites’ users or the general public.
V. Security of information
We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input. We also use a secure server hosting location in the US, firewall protection, controlled access and encryption technology to protect your data. Please be advised, however, that while we strive to protect your PII, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us online and are not responsible for the theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your PII.
VI. Your options & opt-outs
- What Choices Do I Have (Opt-Out)? You have many choices regarding how we use information about you, including: (1) To stop our emails, click here; (2) To opt-out of third party advertising, click here; (3) To stop the sharing of PII with our participating merchants, contact us; and (4) as discussed above, the choices we offer you anytime you submit information through our Sites or Services.
- You May Contact Us With Questions: If you have any questions or concerns about privacy at Shopzilla, please contact us by clicking here.
As our Sites nor our Services are not intended for use by children under 13, Children under 13 may not submit any PII to us. Also, if you are under 18, you should use Shopzilla and submit information only with involvement of a parent or guardian.
VIII. Online merchants and third party policies
IX. Access to information
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of your information, please contact us by clicking here. We may charge a fee of £10 towards our costs in providing you with the requested information.
Copyright © Shopzilla, Inc (Europe) Ltd, trading as Shopzilla. All Rights Reserved.